Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery
Author ORCID Identifier
Clinkinbeard - https://orcid.org/0000-0003-1839-2877
"This comprehensive resource makes a great companion to works such as Edith M. Freeman's Substance Abuse Treatment (Sage, 1993), Gary L. Fisher and Thomas C. Harrison's Substance Abuse (4th ed., Allyn & Bacon, 2008), and most of the works in Guilford's "Substance Abuse" series. Highly recommended for research and academic libraries."—John R.M. Lawrence—Reflecting the recent explosion in the knowledge base of all aspects of the alcohol and drug abuse field, the presents state-of-the-art research and evidence-based applications. The Encyclopedia's approximately 350 A-to-Z signed entries focus on the information that addiction treatment and prevention professionals and allied health professionals need to effectively work with clients.
- Provides comprehensive and authoritative coverage of such areas as the neurobiology of addiction, models of addiction, sociocultural perspectives on drug use, family and community factors, prevention theories and techniques, professional issues, the criminal justice system and substance abuse, assessment and diagnosis, and more
- Focuses on concepts of addiction and treatment practices, but also addresses commonly used and abused drugs, including recreational, prescription, and over-the-counter
- Offers a Reader's Guide that lists topic categories with specific entries
- Presents cross-references at the end of each entry to help readers locate related information in other entries, as well as Further Readings for those who wish to pursue topics in more depth
- Includes an appendix listing of58 different drugs and substances with corresponding relevant entries
The Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery is intended for use by pre-service and in-service addiction prevention and treatment providers and allied professionals in the fields of criminal justice, counseling, social work, public health, nursing, medicine, other health care professions, education, and family studies.
Fisher, Gary L. Ed.; Roget, Nancy A. Ed.; and Clinkinbeard, Samantha S., "Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, and Recovery" (2008). Criminology and Criminal Justice Faculty Books and Monographs. 34.
The entries titled "Community Reinforcement Approach" and "Therapeutic Comminites" are written by University of Nebraska at Omaha's Dr. Samantha S. Clinkinbeard.