Recent advances in understanding the human brain, intelligence, and how we learn1 indicate that successful schools need to provide
• rich, safe learning environments that address multiple realms of intelligence;
• opportunities for experiential learning to promote construction of knowledge and understanding;
• opportunities to develop both intelligence and skills through mediated learning;
• opportunities to transfer learning through reflection; and
• balanced assessment measures that include portfolios and performance assessments as well as more conventional standardized tests.
Bonthron, Susan and Gordon, Rick, "Service Learning and Assessment: A Field Guide for Teachers" (1999). Evaluation/Reflection. 45.
Files over 3MB may be slow to open. For best results, right-click and select "save as..."