Date of Award
Master of Arts (MA)
Dr. Frederick W. Adrian
The first white inhabitants of the Valley of the Sioux River came from opposite directions, but in search of the same reward: good homesites in the new Eden of the Dakota Country. After reading of the beautiful falls of the river called "Te-han-kas-an-data" by the Indians, Dr. George M. Staples of Dubuque, Iowa, organized the Western Two Company in 1856. The possibilities of future land exploitation in the area attracted further support of this undertaking, and two frontiersmen were hired to gain possession of the area under the laws of the United States, which allowed up to three hundred twenty acreds of land to settlers. In November of 1856, Ezra Millard of Sioux City, and an accomplice, reached the Falls of the Big Sioux River, built a log dwelling above the Falls, and returned to Sioux City for the winter.
Odenbach, Bruce A., "A history of First Lutheran Church, Sioux Falls, South Dakota" (1970). Student Work. 579.
Files over 3MB may be slow to open. For best results, right-click and select "save as..."