Is this a familiar scenario? You give students a reading assignment. During class, you pose discussion questions related to the reading. Silence. You rephrase the questions. After an awkward pause, one student responds with a brief answer.
According to the American Association of Colleges and Universities (AAC&U 2010 AAC&U. 2010. Reading VALUE Rubric. https://www.aacu.org/value/rubrics/reading [Google Scholar] ), when students read they should:
- engage beyond the explicit message,
- consider important questions and scholarly contributions,
- identify relations among ideas,
- acknowledge multiple perspectives, and
- deepen disciplinary conversation.
Schaffer, Connie, "The Seven Step Strategy" (2017). Teacher Education Faculty Publications. 107.