Date of Award
Master of Arts (MA)
Dr. Frederick W. Adrian
The community of Florence, since 1917 a part of the city of Omaha, had rather ususual history of settlement in that it was founded not once, but twice. In 1846 the area was occupied by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Winter Quarters, as it was then called, had a population of approximately 3500 inhabitants and was the scene of much activity. Abandoned in 1848, it lay prey to plundering Indians and prairie fires until 1854 when James Mitchell and the Nebraska Winter Quarters Company laid claim to the area and established another settlement which they called Florence, Nebraska Territory.
Miles, Marian G., "The founding of Florence, Nebraska, 1854-1860" (1970). Student Work. 543.
Files over 3MB may be slow to open. For best results, right-click and select "save as..."